Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

downunder
This post was updated on .
Crazy idea? Or it might work?

It's cheap, strong , can vary in color (yep, fluorescent colors which I like a lot

Is square profile avail? Yes, I've found 4mm!

Can it be glued with epoxy!? I recon yes. If not with epoxy than poly. My idea is to use perspex as a mold and precure some rails!

Any takers?

PS

I mean, let's face it, if the ABS extruding is too expensive and we can't find anyone to do the rails for us, than this might be the option as well:

Than, I would extrude it myself

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

mattma
Administrator
Love the idea of extruding or moulding the plastic for the rails. No waste at all and means you can 'repurpose' plastic from other sources ('repurposing' is my favourite made up word at the moment).

For a mould you might also be able to use square aluminium tube cut in half lengthwise or c-section. Melt the plastic and squeeze it into the mould.  I have read somewhere (once and in a place that I can't remember where now but I believe the ABS pellets are used in injection moulding processes ( same idea, melt it down and squeeze it in).

With weed-trimmer line, I've only ever seen nylon used. Not that I've ever paid too much attention. Have you come across some ones made from more glue friendly plastics?

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

downunder
This post was updated on .
Thanks Matt!

Yeah, I've ordered trimming line off e bay. It's CoPolymer and wikipedia says:

"Commercially relevant copolymers include ABS plastic, SBR, Nitrile rubber, styrene-acrylonitrile, styrene-isoprene-styrene (SIS) and ethylene-vinyl acetate."

It might be mixed with nylon, duno.

Will see how it goes. I'm thinking 4mm square is a go. But than, I do not have 4mm spiral router bit. However I do have spiral 1/8" bit and 3mm line will just fit enough, hopefully.

For extruding, yes, was thinking the same. The problem tho are air bubbles.

PS

Actually, the trimmer line might be reinforced with fiberglass! Some models are! If that is so...

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

PeterJ
Or find someone with a large enough 3d printer to actually print out the rail in one piece to perfectly match the board outline.
Peterj - Road to ride

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

downunder
This post was updated on .
Got the trimmer line any tried with epoxy.

No luck. I didn't flame it or sanded it. Might try that as well.

But, did found  this:

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3822&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=abs&start=15

Interesting. More and more this idea is brewing in my head

And more:

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

mattma
Administrator
Here's another idea the throw into the 'melting pot'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8n85QgRH4

Styrofoam+ acetone. have no idea how well it will bond though but would be a good experiment to see.

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

downunder
How big boys are doin' it?

On 1.54:)

Re: Alternative to ABS rails? A weed-trimmer line!

downunder
I am trying to get the ABS filament sample to try with.

It's not easy to get this in a square profile