Board Finishing

Baps
Good day everyone,

What a great Blog.  Thank you for all the effort of everyone who have shared their work here.  I am new to the forum, have a light wind TT build in mind and would like to share with you as I progress.

Firstly though I have a couple of questions about the board finishing (apologies if this has been covered before):

I want to do something similar to the Brokite boys. They seem to pack a neat sandwich in a vacuum bag etc, which I want to replicate.  What do you suppose the outer layers are of their board?  It has graphics already printed as well as I am sure the markings to drill for the inserts.  CrazyFly seems to use the same technique. I have come across this website: http://millerstudio.net/?page_id=60 in the US which discusses raw materials used in sport board finishing.  Have any of you considered this and do you have any suggestions for me, if so, suppliers in Oz?

Thanks

Baps

Re: Board Finishing

downunder
Welcome mate

thanks for joining.

Indeed, it's an effort and hopefully the projects base will grow so we can all share the ideas and experiences.
Me personally can't help much with the finish since I've decided to present as much wood as I can on my boards.
Miller's bizz is great for the topsheets if I understand well, graphics, etc. They can do one off orders but not sure if they do TT's. It's not cheap to ship from there to here (Oz).
It is also extremely difficult to get any ISO Sport or the Crown stuff in here. That is why I completely sourced everything locally and been using just a basic stuff like FG, CF (just for the top layer), a closed cell sheets and a bamboo.
The SS inserts I've got from the manufacturer, they are the industry standard.
Epoxy is the West Systems. I would go with the Super Sap by Entropy, but can't source it in WA.

My current all rounder board is just a varnished board and it's got 100+ hrs/water. Some scratches here and there for a charm, normally using a nail varnish to cover:) No deep ones yet.

Not sure about your skills, but try not to over do it. Start simple and build from there. A few boards after and than you laughing

Re: Board Finishing

Baps
Thanks for your reply and info.

The project is still in the planning stage and in terms of skills: I have no experience with composites etc.

I was thinking of doing a flat (no rocker etc) small scale board just to test and experiment with the materials. So no graphics, just the raw materials and vacuum bagging.

I like the look of your boards. I will do some more research and come back with a plan.

Thanks again

Re: Board Finishing

downunder
Thanks man.

Now is a time to build a board but you might need some heating in
place if leaving over night. With the temp. dropping to almost 2C in
WA this is a must.

Post heating the project is probably the most important part with any
composites and epoxy.

Good luck.
D.