Cardboards bottom finish

PeterJ
I got myself a carboards freeride 141 x 42 and noticed that the bottom is rough with a matt finish and the top where the footpads are mounted is galssy smooth.

Any ideas as to why other than the roughness breaking the surface tension of the water type stuff?
Peterj - Road to ride

Re: Cardboards bottom finish

downunder
Purchased a board? Wow...:)

Not sure, I mean, are the race boards like that, rough? I think they are very smooth, at least a few I've seen.

Maybe it's just the topsheet availability. Good question.

Re: Cardboards bottom finish

sam lack
the bottom of cardboard is built this way as little pockets of air get court in them and makes it a lot less drag on the water . some high tec stuff but made really easy in the mould .
happy wind sam

Re: Cardboards bottom finish

mattma
Administrator
Hey Sam and welcome to the forum.

I had a friend who used to race catamarans and he told me that they used to sand the hull with very fine sand paper prior to the races for the reason you mentioned. He described it as creating a small layer of turbulence that reduced drag.

I haven't seen it on race boards but I wonder with so much of the board not in contact with the water whether the rough surface might actually increase drag due to the air under the board more than it would reduce drag at the water/board interface.

Are you a DIY board builder yourself?

Cheers
Matt