Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Hi there,

I'm spending to much time tinkering about this. There must be a better and faster way for doing it.

I did use a router on my first project, but the router bit is too small so needed a jig. Too much work since the router bit with a bearing is needed, etc.

Than got this drill bit:

But that one is a problem since it is very long and easily goes off center. I think with a fixed drill might work. My hands are to shaky to hold this in position and the results were disappointing.
And the little teeth (left and right) is the problem since it will go more into the core than needed. I am not going to buy a fixed drill since haven't got a workshop.

So, still looking...Ideas?

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

mattma
Administrator
Hey Dean

This is uncanny. I was at bunnings yesterday and saw this which i think might be one step close to what you're going for.

A concealed hinge cutter. Never hinged could be concealed so there you go. It not a great picture but the point at the middle and sides are very small are blades radiating out from the center that look like they'll make a fairly flush surface on the bottom of the hole.

In terms of getting a vertical hole I found a hand-drill press at Aldi's for $20 during one of their handyman sales.

I've also seen them on ebay for not much more.

The hand drill's collar goes through the hole and on the base of the press there is a bolt that lets you turn the base 180 relative to the drill location. This lets you locate the drill anywhere by putting the whole thing on top for the board and hold it down with a sand bag or clamp it on an overhang that the board can side under.

Cheers

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Thanks Matt,

got the cutter today! Will see how it goes!

D.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

Kevnkite
G'day Dean,
I used a normal 12mm router bit and the steel plate that came with my cheapy
Bunnings Ozito router, it has a 15mm hole that has a pressed lip that protrudes about 3mm
below the base plate.(you can flip it over so it doesn't protrude)
You can use a normal hole saw to cut oversize holes (to allow for difference in dia of the lip and the bit)
in a 6mm custom wood template,I used the same plate and router bit to cut the rails into the
plywood core.
There is a pic of the template I used in my build thread if that helps,also I can take a pic of the router
base plate if you like,
Cheers,
Kev.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Hi Kev

thanks for your reply. I was just wondering do you drill the holes all the way through? I see on your photos but not sure if that is the board or template?

Btw, great effort with your board! Already looks like a pro!

Cheers

D.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

Kevnkite
Hi Dean,
Thanks for your comments,
I only drilled the fin plugs right through
(the footpad & handle plugs are about 7.5mm deep,the core is 9mm)
as they will be under compression and I didn't want water coming into contact with the core
as the fin bolts go through the board.
I'm new to this (only been kiting 10 months) is there a problem with doing it this
way ? I appreciate any feed back.
Cheers,
Kev.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Kevnkite wrote
G'day Dean,
I used a normal 12mm router bit and the steel plate that came with my cheapy
Bunnings Ozito router, it has a 15mm hole that has a pressed lip that protrudes about 3mm
below the base plate.(you can flip it over so it doesn't protrude)
You can use a normal hole saw to cut oversize holes (to allow for difference in dia of the lip and the bit)
in a 6mm custom wood template,I used the same plate and router bit to cut the rails into the
plywood core.
There is a pic of the template I used in my build thread if that helps,also I can take a pic of the router
base plate if you like,
Cheers,
Kev.
Thanks mate,

yes please, if take a photo that would be great. I've tried to find this router in Bunn. no luck.

Cheers

D.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

Kevnkite
Here are the pic's of my Ozito  PRR-850 router,

The base plate I was talking about,

The side profile showing how it protrudes a couple of mm's (12mm dia router bit)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Kev.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Ah,

simple and efficient. I like it. You are using this just like a router bit with bearings.

Thanks.

D.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

fossil

Hi Matt,
the "General" tool term for these is a Forstner Bit, but is also often referred to as a bottoming bit.

Cheers
Fossil

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

mattma
Administrator
Hey Fossil. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip.

Dean, have you had a try yet?

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Not yet on a wood.

Drilled the chopping board for my pre cured fins inserts. Worked well.

Thanks

D.

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Some progress!

However, using this tool to get the vertical or angle drilling wasn't so good.

Than I discovered why! The left depth stopper is missing! Meaning: the drill is not vertical when applied some pressure onto a drill.

But where to buy this stopper?

Found a solution by buying a 10mm wood drilling bit with the depth stop and used the stopper on my tool!

Works well. Used a computer rack metal bolt for securing a stopper instead of a tiny one seen on here.

Now, back to Shinai!

Re: Drilling foot pads inserts holes? How to?

downunder
Drilling footpads holes continues!

A few days ago went shopping and found this:

This bit has 3 cutters! Much better results.

The black bit from the previous post I've paid 18$

This one was 50 cents!

Better buy some more....