Interesting video on a flow coat

PeterJ
found this video about putting a flow coat on carbon . At about the 6 -7 minute mark there is an interesting liquid sprayed on the make the finnish amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKn-59pHNM
Peterj - Road to ride

Re: Interesting video on a flow coat

mattma
Administrator
Cool. Great find. A mist of acetone to burst the bubbles that have risen to the top. Who the hell would have thought of that. Its like sticking youre fingers in the toaster to get better toast. Works but how the hell do you discover that.

I was talking to my brother on the weekend who has been building boards for a lot of years and he also mentioned applying the additional layer of resin and then hitting it with a heat gun as this fellow said was possible. I have also heard that if you stick your pot of resin in a vacuum chamber prior to pouring that the lower pressure helps to out gas the resin,although I'm guessing much of the air bubbles are introduced during the pour and soaking of the glass.

They normally use the vac tank to take air out when they vac infuse something as they dont have the option to be able to flame it
Peterj - Road to ride

Administrator
You do that prior to starting infusing?

Yep. Ive seen videos where they do that because once they mix it there is no other way to get the bubbles out as it's a completely closed system. They cant work the resin by hand at all..
Peterj - Road to ride

Re: Interesting video on a flow coat

mattma
Administrator
How good is the surface finish when you infuse? Do you still need to do the additional resin coat, wet and dry etc?

I have been thinking about trying infusion for making the pre-cured skins but the whole point of pre-curing is to avoid the need to do much work on the surface after curing it.

Re: Interesting video on a flow coat

PeterJ
This is one where they infuse

And here is one where they demold it, or similar

Peterj - Road to ride

Re: Interesting video on a flow coat

plummet
wholy shit batman. great idea. I will try it on my next board.