Layup

Cinema
Hey Guys,
I am making my first wakeboard and hope to press the first deck tomorrow.
I have a question regarding the layup process.
Has anyone tried laying up the board on a flat table then dropping it on the rocker table and vacuum pressing it before the epoxy sets?

Re: Layup

mattma
Administrator
Hey Cinema

I haven't tried it myself but have seen it done in a few videos and also my brother who made boards for a few years always did it that way.

My understanding is that there are a couple of benefits that people claim. One, you leave behind some resin and so you get a better resin ratio and so a stronger laminate. I've also seem people but resin down first then the glass then wet it out to try to pin hole air bubbles on the surface of the board.  I guess if you are putting onto a board with 3D surface then you'll avoid all that excess resin that would be hard to squeegy out and pools in recesses.

What's your thinking behind wanting to do it this way?

Would be great to see some pics of your work!

Cheers
Matt

Re: Layup

downunder
Cinema wrote
Hey Guys,
I am making my first wakeboard and hope to press the first deck tomorrow.
I have a question regarding the layup process.
Has anyone tried laying up the board on a flat table then dropping it on the rocker table and vacuum pressing it before the epoxy sets?
Not quite sure what do you mean, but I think this would be the way. Sometimes I layup on the floor with a plastic all around and still manage to drop some epoxy everywhere...