Super glue, Precured rails and a strap on.

Super glue, Precured rails and a strap on.

mattma
Administrator
Hi All

Well, I'm back from a fantastic 4 month stay in the warm waters of Far North Queensland. Had some great wind there and also during the 2 week slow drive home. Only downside was no workshop there so haven't been able to make and experiment. Now that I'm back and have largely unpacked it time to get a few new ideas up and running.

During my time up in Cairns there were a couple of demo days and so I tried out a few different boards. I tried the Naish Monarch and Dub and a couple of the North boards. The Monarch is the first time that I've ridden a board with channels and it was a bit of a revelation and I'm now quite keen on trying my hand at adding channels.

I've also had a couple of random ideas that I want to try out over the course of the next couple of boards.

i) Use Super Glue to tack the planks and rails in place and let the resin flow into the faces of the planks etc. Letting the resin invade during the layup of the fibreglass has largely eliminated spring back in the wood cores in the my last couple of boards so I'm going to stick with it.

ii) Pre-rails : For a while now I've wanted to try to make a board using the construction approach BroKites use. they use faom for the core, cut it into 5 pieces lengthwise and wrap each section in carbon which is help in place using pray adhesive. In this approach all the components are prepared in advance and then everything comes together at the one time in a 'one-shot' process.

One thing that I've struggled with here is that they are using 6mm ABS plastic for the rails which here in Australia is ridiculously expensive. So the idea I want to try is to use a hot wire cutter to cut a mold for the rails in EPS foam and then use the mold to make resin rails. The foam on the exterior side of the rails could be left in place and would make cutting the excess material off after curing a much easier process. In fact the excess foam could be removed by dissolving it in acetone.

iii) The strap on - this is a idea that me an Lee Wiles who I met in Cairns came up with independently. The idea is to use the excess core material on the exterior side of the rails to create another, larger board outline. The excess will be a 'ring' of material that has the small board cut out of the middle. By putting some base material such as 1-2mm plywood on the underside of this board 'outer' and carbon/glassing it you then have created a second , larger/light wind board that the first board fits neatly into. Then with a some yet to be determined straps or braces or the like to secure the smaller board in place you then have two boards. The small high wind board with the foot straps on it and then a larger, light wind board that used the foot straps and handle off the smaller board rather than supplying its own. Lighter for travelling, cheap to make you have 2 boards for not much more than the price of one. Lee and I have dubbed this the 'Strap On':)

Cheers

Re: Super glue, Precured rails and a strap on.

downunder
Welcome back Matt!

Nice ideas, thanks for sharing the iii) Really like it:)

D.

Strap On Base Material

mattma
Administrator
I'm just back from a great trip where I caught up with my brother who made boards of all persuasions for many years. I've come back with so many ideas which I'm in the process of working out where to post them.

One idea that hit my like brick his use of Laminex ( Formica) for an abrasion resistant surface for boards he made for hitting kickers and the like.

He showed me a board that he'd been riding for 5 years. It had white Laminex on the bottom and the healside rails was only just wearing through despite it being ridden pretty hard. The light bulb that went off when I saw this was to use the Laminex in the strap on.

The Strap On is the name I've give to the idea of use excess core material to make an extension piece to increase the size of the 'insert' twin tip. for example the material left over if you route out the core using a template and cut all the way through the core. This material with Laminex as the bottom surface would be absolutely perfect!!!! Laminex is stiff and bonds well to the core material so that maybe just a couple of layers of glass of the top on the bonding side would be all that is required.

This could be used to make the board bigger for light wind or just a removable protective cover for hitting sliders or if like me use grind the shit out of your rails:)

Gold!

Re: Strap On Base Material

downunder
Hey Matt,

long time ago I was talking with a cabinet maker guy and he said Laminex (for a kitchen, right?), is a compressed cardboard, dissolves in water after a while. Maybe there a different ones out there? Laminex is also not really cheap, a guy asked 100$ for a sheet. I've paid top sheet less for 6 boards.

Right now I am killing myself with work on pre cured PU rails. The idea is to pour it in a perspex channel but this is proving to be hard work. First one rail is about 1.50-1.60m long if gluing one half size. To route this in perspex is a nightmare. Melts, etc..Perspex since PU wont bond with it and there is no moisture in a mold.

My whole house is now in perspex dust:( Too hot to work outside.

Thinking to route this in wood now. Than varnish the channel a few times and pour PU in it. Hopefully PU wont bond to it.

Than the mold would go in a pressure chamber to eliminate any bubbles. A chamber need to make with high pressure tubes from Bugings:) Cost is around 40$ for 3m tube & fittings and glue.

It there any idea for a mold which is 1/4" wide (router bit size), and at least 4mm deep?

Cheers

D.

Re: Strap On Base Material

Chris
What about using some panel fasteners like these:
http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/products/quick-release-fasteners

1/4 turn structural panel fasteners, just needs an allen key

you could use any additional depth in the larger board such as for the fixing depths to create rails/chines on the underside of the board

Re: Strap On Base Material

downunder

Re: Strap On Base Material

kaos69
i have made a few boards with laminex as a top and bottom sheet . it is the fastest was you will ever make a board , all you have to do when you take it of the rocker table is lightly sand the rails and your done a bit heavier if you do top and bottom and a bit limited in colour so i just do the bottom and go to town on top graphics . as for coming  apart it will never happen . the only way to remove it is make a new board . i made them to be ridden over sliders and kickers with great success they are as tuff as you will get . i have some over 7 years old still not hit the glass .

Re: Strap On Base Material

downunder
Awesome news!

Yep, a bit on a heavy side but good for hitting a ramp:)