interesting surface material

Chris
Just got back from the composites engineering exhibition, some really interesting stuff there and a new hybrid surface material has been developed. Spread tow carbon / cork !!! there's even a weavers now that produces plain woven cork 0.1mm ish thick!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu55ghyc2o1j2f5/2013-11-12%2011.50.08.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3s82alb6x2heqt2/2013-11-12%2011.51.38.jpg

Looks stunning on a kiteboard they had there, one (not photographed) had woven cork top and bottom layer

Re: interesting surface material

downunder
Hey, but what's on the 2nd photo than?

Looks awesooooooome:)  Form where to get it? How muchos?

Thanks for posting btw!

PS
Can't wait to try my Black Diamond on a new project! Still working too long hours:(

Re: interesting surface material

Chris
The supplier wouldn't give any costs out at the show as there as different price brakes etc... but I have found a supplier of spread tow plain weave (10mm wide tows) that is pretty decent value (email / PM for details as I was asked to keep it from public domain)

The boards in the picture are from hydro kiteboards in italy I beleive. looked really cool and interestingly one of the boards had a sidewall that wall flexible like rubber rather than a hard polyurethene, they were also about 6mm at the tips and 10mm ish from the binding insert onwards.

Re: interesting surface material

mattma
Administrator
Cool that you get to go to shows like that. Must have been some interesting things on display?

Woven cork!! That looks very cool and quite out there. It is purely fore decorative purposes? What's the big selling point for it?

Matt

Re: interesting surface material

Chris
I think it's just because it looks cool more than anything else it's sold primarily as a decorative cloth. Although the flat weave patters such as this and the spread tow carbon reduce print-through significantly and allow the surface to be flatter (take a look at an F1 wing or bodywork and you'll see they use it on the aero-surfaces)

Some of the stuff thats available now (for high end manufacturing) is literally out of this world and probably beyond anything you could imagine!

They had some cool stuff there such as Bloodhound SSC, the electric jag le-mans car, and a full size A380 (I think) undercaridge http://compositesexhibition.com/

There was also a stand with natural fibres that they'd used to make a snowboard (finishing layer) along with a bio-resin such as greenpoxy 55 (Sicomin) and a cork core to make a "green" snowbaord

Re: interesting surface material

Chris
WOW, just got the prices back for the cork & carbon cork....

Carbon / cork £120 pm (210 AUD)
cork £216 pm (370 AUD)

Won't be getting that then! so top and bottom would cost at least £240-310 (300-560 AUD) per board just for the finish